We are often asked, "Can glue guns be used on fabric?" The simple answer is yes but you will need to know a few things first about the type of glue gun and glue stick you are using. Once you find the right glue gun and glue stick, hot melt is excellent at bonding fabric and other porous materials.
Glue Guns and Fabric
There are three major types of hot glue guns, standard temperature (also called high temp), low temperature and adjustable temperature. When bonding fabric or other sensitive materials, low temperature or adjustable temperature glue guns are highly recommended. Standard temperature glue guns dispense at around 380 Degrees Fahrenheit while low temperature glue guns have a working temperature around 260 Degrees Fahrenheit. That 120 degree difference can be the difference between the perfect bond to fabric or burning right through your material. Now that you know which type of glue gun to use, it's time to match up the right glue stick
Glue Sticks and Fabric
We know that low temperature glue guns can help from burning a hole in fabric and sensitive material, but now we need to make sure we are using the correct glue stick. Low temperature glue guns must be used with low temperature glue sticks. These type of glue sticks are specifically formulated for melting at lower temperatures making them fabric safe. There are even all temperature glue sticks that can be used in both high and low temperature glue guns. We think these are great for adjustable temperature glue guns so you don't have to own two separate glue guns.
Additional Tips when Working with Fabric
You must always be careful when using hot glue and fabric. Here are some additional tips to help make your project a success.
- Try glueing a test piece of fabric before jumping into your project.
- Be careful not to touch the glue gun nozzle to your material as this is often hotter than the glue and can cause burns.
- If you are bonding fabric to a sturdier, more temperature resistant material, apply the hot melt to the other substrait first and then let it cool slightly before applying your fabric. Don't wait too long though, the hot melt may set and then you will not get a strong bond.
- TEC 250 Low Temp Glue Gun
- Ad Tech Ultra Low Temp Glue Gun
- TEC 820 Adjustable Temp Glue Gun
- Surebonder Pro 220
- Infinity Fabric Glue Stick
- Ultra Low Temp Glue Sticks (only for use with Ad Tech Ultra Low Temp Gun)
- Ad Tech 2030 Low Temp Glue Sticks
Contact us with questions regarding any of your glue gun or glue stick product questions.